What more does a pregnant woman want than ice cream? Not much, that’s what.
So, for Christmas I asked for the KitchenAid ice cream maker attachment. Well, it finally came in this week! Even though it looks like this outside….
I’ve been planning ice cream recipes.
For my first go-around I decided on mint chocolate chip. After looking around, I found a basic recipe, nothing fancy but with good reviews and a yummy looking photo. (Yes, I do judge some recipes according to their photos as well.) Here a little tip if you’re a newbie with your ice cream maker as well: chill the ice cream mixture before putting it into the mixer.
This was yummy, but made more than I expected. It was just over two quarts worth. So with the extra batch I decided to make a pie! Nothing complicated just a quick throw together. Here’s what you need:
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 4 cups 2 percent milk
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 8 drops green food coloring
- 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chipsIn large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla and peppermint until the sugar has dissolved. Let mixture chill in refrigerator for at least an hour.Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and follow the directions from your manufacturer. After the first 10 minutes, open the lid carefully and add the chocolate chips, then return to churning. Once the machine has stopped churning, remove the thickened ice cream and put into a freezer safe container. Freeze until hard (about 2 hours), then serve.
For the pie:
- Chocolate pie crust
- Oreos (crushed)
- Chocolate sauce
Chill the pie crust before filling it with a proportional amount of your ice cream. Cover with crushed Oreos (about eight cookies was plenty). Then top with the chocolate sauce and place in the freezer.